Engineering is one of the most sought-after career fields in the country, making India one of the largest producers of Engineers throughout the world. While JEE Mains has earned its reputation as the toughest engineering entrance exam of the country, not everyone is able to crack the same.
However, there is no need to be disappointed, as there are a plenty of options at state and regional level that one can target to secure admission in top engineering colleges of the country.
Here is a list of top 10 state level engineering entrance exams that aspirants need to watch out for (on the basis of the number of students that appear for these exams, difficulty level, and participating colleges)
|S.No||Entrance Exam||Availability of Application Form||Examination Date|
|1||KEAM||February 1, 2018||April 23 to 24, 2018|
|2||MHT CET||January 18, 2018||May 10, 2018|
|3||UPSEE||January 23, 2018||April 29, 2018|
|4||WBJEE||December 19, 2018||April 22, 2018|
|5||AP EAMCET||Second week of February 2018||April 22 to 25, 2018|
|6||BCECE||Second week of February 2018||Third week of June, 2018|
|7||CG PET||Fourth week of March 2018||Second week of May 2018|
|8||GUJ CET||Last week of March, 2018||Second week of May 2018|
|9||JEECE||First week of April 2018||Second week of May 2018|
|10||KCET||February 1, 2018||April 18 & 19, 2018|
These entrance examinations are as important as JEE Mains. Here are a few things that you must know before applying for any of the above examinations.
KEAM (Kerala Engineering and Medical Exam)
Commissioner of Entrance Examination conducts Kerala Engineering and Medical (KEAM) to provide admission to students in B.Tech courses in Government and private colleges in the state of Kerala. The examination will be conducted in offline mode for duration of 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Some of the top colleges accepting KEAM score for admission are as follows:
- College of Engineering, Trivandrum
- Government Engineering College, Thrissur
- Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology
- TKM College of Engineering, Kollam
- College of Engineering, Chengannur
MHT CET (Maharashtra Common Entrance Test)
MHT CET is conducted by DTE Maharashtra every year for admitting students to engineering programs offered at institute located in six regions of Maharashtra- Amaravati, Aurangabad, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nasik and Pune. A total of 85% of seats in these colleges are filed through MHT CET scores. The remaining 15% seats in private unaided colleges/institutions of Maharashtra state are filled via JEE Main scores, under All India Quota category. The examination will be conducted in offline mode.
Top colleges accepting MHT CET scores are as follows:
- College of Engineering, Pune
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University College of Engineering, Pune
- GH Raisoni College of Engineering, Nagpur
- Maharashtra Institute of Technology, Pune
UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination)
Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University (AKTU) conducts UPSEE for admission to more than 600 engineering institutes in the state of Uttar Pradesh. About 1.5 lakh seats are filled on the basis of the scores obtained by students in UPSEE. Students belonging to other states can also apply. About 10% of the total seats are reserved for them by private institutions.
Here is a list of top colleges that accept UPSEE score:
- Ajay Kumar Garg Engineering College, Ghaziabad
- Ambedkar Institute of Technology for Handicapped, Kanpur
- Institute of Engineering and Technology, Lucknow
- Kamla Nehru Institute of Technology, Sultanpur
- KIET Group of Institutions, Ghaziabad
WBJEE (West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination)
WBJEE is conducted by West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination Board for admission to B.Tech courses in Government and private Engineering & Technological Institutes of the state of West Bengal. About 104 colleges are participating to enroll students through this examination.
The exam is conducted in offline mode for duration of four hours. Some of the top colleges accepting WBJEE scores are as follows:
- Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Kolkata
- Haldia Institute of Technology, Haldia
- Heritage Institute of Technology, Kolkata
AP EAMCET (Andhra Pradesh Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test)
Conducted by JNTU Kakinada on behalf of APSCHE, this entrance exam is conducted for admissions to undergraduate engineering courses in the state of Andhra Pradesh. Admissions for about 1,53,150 seats are through AP EAMCET every year. The duration of the exam is 2 hours with 100 multiple choice questions. Aspirants will have to submit INR 500 at the time of registration.
Here are top 5 colleges that accept AP EAMCET scores for admission:
- Andhra University, College of Engineering, Vishakhapatnam
- Gayatri Vidya Parishad College of Engineering, Vishakhapatnam
- GMR Institute of Technology, Rajam
- KL University, Guntur
- Sagi Ramakrishnam Raju Engineering College, Bhimavaram
BCECE (Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination)
Conducted by Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examinations Board, this entrance exam helps gain admission into all engineering colleges in Bihar. A total of about 1.5 Lacs applicants have applied for this examination this year. The mode of exam is offline and the duration is 2 hours and 15 minutes. It has three sections i.e. Physics, Maths, Chemistry or Biology.
Top colleges accepting BCECE score are as follows:
- Bhagalpur College of Engineering, Bhagalpur
- Gaya College of Engineering, Gaya
- Loknayak Jai Prakash Institute of Technology, Chhapra
- Muzaffarpur Institute of Technology, Muzaffarpur
CG PET (Chhattisgarh Pre Engineering Test)
Chhattisgarh Professional Examination Board (CGPEB) has a different approach to its examinations. Candidates can gain admission to undergraduate engineering programs by appearing for CG PET. Candidates who have qualified JEE Mains are also eligible to apply for CG PET 2018. The examination is conducted in offline mode. The application fee for candidates belonging to the general category is INR 200.
Top colleges accepting CG PET Score are as follows:
- Bhilai Institute of Technology, Durg
- Government Engineering College, Raipur
- Lakshmi Narain College of Technology and Science, Bhopal
- Government Engineering College, Bilaspur
- Rungta Collee of Engineering and Technology, Bhilai
GUJ CET (Gujrat Common Entrance Test)
Gujarat Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Board (GSEB) conducts this exam for students to gain admission to its 112 participating institutions. The examining body is the Admission Committee for Professional Courses (ACPC) and they conduct counselling sessions along with seat allotments after the entrance exams. To appear for this exam, the student must be a bonafide citizen of Gujarat.
Top colleges accepting GUJCET score are as follows:
- Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology, Gandhinagar
- Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara Government Engineering College, Patan
- Institute of Infrastructure Technology Research and Management, Ahmedabad
- Lukhdhirji Engineering College, Morbi
- Nirma University, Ahmedabad
JEECE (Jharkhand Engineering Entrance Competitive Exam)
Conducted by the Jharkhand Combined Entrance Competitive Examination Board (JCECEB), this exam helps students gain admission into engineering colleges in Jharkhand. There are 15 participating institutions along with 3 government colleges which provide a total of 5411 seats. The examination is conducted in an online mode with time duration of 3 hours. There are a total of 150 questions to be answered in the objective format.
Top colleges accepting JEECE score:
- Cambridge Institute of Technology, Jharkhand
- BA College of Engineering and Technology
- Maryland Institute of Technology and Management
- RVS College of Engineering and Technology
- RTC Institute of Technology
KCET (Karnataka Common Entrance Test)
Karnataka Examinations Authority conducts this exam for aspirants to gain admissions into private and government colleges of Karnataka. The entrance exam is conducted separately for Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology on two different days. It is an offline exam and is conducted in both English and Kannada. There are 180 objective questions, 60 from each of the subjects. Other state candidates will not be able to apply for KCET as a minimum of seven years inclusive of the qualifying exam in Karnataka is compulsory. However, candidates whose parents are domicile holders of Karnataka or are Govt. employees can apply if they meet other eligibility guidelines.
Here is a list of top colleges that accept KCET score for admission.
- BMS College of Engineering, Bangalore
- Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore
- RV College of Engineering, Bangalore
- Bangalore Institute of Technology, Bangalore
- Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, Bangalore
Most of these exams are just around the corner, leaving with you very less time to prepare. It is now time to buck up and study hard. All the Best!